Want to become a qualified teacher (or teaching assistant)?
RATEP is a community-based teacher education program to enable Indigenous people to become fully qualified teaching assistants and/or registered teachers. This course is part of a partnership between TAFE Queensland North, Department of Education and Training State Schools and James Cook University.
The Certificate III in Education is offered in two ways: either over one year from February - October for high achieving and very self-managed students in Year 11 or Year 12 or the usual span of two years (Years 11 and 12) from February in 2017 to October 2018. The commitment for the two year course is the equivalent of 1 "VET" day each week plus approximately five hours of independent study and twice the workload for the one year course. On successful completion, students will be able to:
- Provide support to students and colleagues in an educational service, in accordance with industry and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural protocols.
- Provide general teaching/learning assistance within primary school environments.
- Provide tutor support for peers, students and parents.
- Receive credit towards higher level qualifications in Education.
- Allows a direct pathway to becoming a fully qualified teacher.