29 Jan 2018
Full time /
3 days per week
29 Jan 2018
Full time /
3 days per week
Mature age applicants are welcome as are those wishing to return to the health industry after a long absence. People who are working in the health care sector wanting to formalise their experience or change into health care from another area are encouraged to apply.
Completion of year 10 is essential to be able to complete this qualification. If you’re under 17 years of age, special enrolment conditions may apply.
There are a number of details and requirements to consider prior to enrolling in this course.
Students will be required to have the capacity to provide assistance with moving a person in at least 6 situations in accordance to the training package requirements.
Applicants need to possess basic computer skills including being able to operate a personal computer and printer, create and manage basic files, navigate a learning management system, perform basic tasks such as word processing, sending and receiving emails with attachments, uploading and downloading documents and using web based search engines.
It is highly recommended that students have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player.
Gatton, Newton, Eureka and Wilkinson Streets
Manunda QLD 4870
Cnr Hugh Street & Fulham Road
Townsville QLD 4812
Whilst attending TAFE you are required to wear a 'nurse' uniform comprising of TAFE uniform shirt, which included in the cost of the program, a black knee length skirt, shorts or long pants and enclosed shoes.
This is a full time blended delivery program, held over 6 months, with a combination of face-to-face and online delivery.
Cairns campus: Online with face-to-face classes every Tuesday 9:30am - 3:30pm, Thursday 9:30am - 4:00pm & Friday 9:30am - 12:30pm. (Note: Week 1 only is Monday 8.30am for Campus Orientation; then Tuesday 9.30am - 4pm, Wednesday 9.30am - 4pm, Thursday 9.30am - 12.30pm).
Townsville (Pimlico) campus: Online with face-to-face classes every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9:00am - 3:00pm.
Please note: The Health Industry dictates that TAFE Queensland, North Region must ensure that all students going on placement in health care facilities hold the following documentation. Students are not eligible to attend mandatory Vocational Placement without these documents.
Students must provide TAFE Queensland the following documents as soon as possible. *Certified copy - photocopy certified by a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner of Declarations:
- Australian Federal Police Check (AFP) - Potential students are advised to contact the teacher should they have any notification or criminal history as this may impact on their acceptance by facilities for placement assessment and therefore affect course outcomes. Students must be able to provide an original Australian Federal Police check on request of a facility at any time. Please refer to the Australian Federal Police website to download the application form at http://www.afp.gov.au. Approximate cost $45.00 (N.B: The certificate MUST be issued by the Australian Federal Police. All other types of police checks will not be accepted.)
- Records showing Hepatitis B vaccination, commencement of vaccination or blood test results showing immunity (N.B. Vaccination will take a minimum of 3 months to complete in full). Other immunisations which may be required include (but not limited to): Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella (Chicken Pox), Pertussis (Whooping Cough).
- Blue Card (Working with Children Check Queensland) - phone 1800 113 611 or http://www.bluecard.qld.gov.au
- TAFE Queensland North strongly recommends that students enrolling in this course consider their eligibility to obtain the above documentation prior to enrolment.
- A Police Check is required prior to commencing Vocational Placement. It is the student’s responsibility to undertake a National Police Check in order to obtain a National Police Certificate. Please Note: If a student has a Disclosable Court Outcome registered against their name, it is unlikely we will be able to access a Vocational Placement. If this occurs the student cannot be awarded the qualification.
- Any costs associated with these documents are in addition to course costs and will be borne by the student.
- A full list of Placement requirements will be discussed on Course Orientation
- Students must be available for 2 week block of Vocational Placement (80 hours) within the dates specified by the teachers at Orientation.
- In accordance with industry expectation and availability of places, students must be available to: attend full time placement, be prepared to travel to undertake placement, participate in a variety of shifts including morning, afternoon and evening shifts (morning shifts may start 6am, evening shifts may finish at 11pm).
- Students are responsible for organising their own transport to and from facilities, organising leave with employers (if applicable) and planning financially for their unpaid vocational placement period.
Police checks are required prior to commencing practical placement. If a student has a Disclosable Court outcome registered against their name, they may be unable to attend vocational placement and will be unable to complete this qualification.